Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern USA
HOLY GOSPEL OF ST. MATTHEW
Advanced Level Name:
1. Name the women listed in the genealogy of the Lord Jesus Christ?
2. According to the Angel why should the child be called Jesus?
1. Returning from Egypt where did St. Joseph settle with his family? Why?
2. Who was the prophet of the Old Testament who prophesied "Out of Egypt I called My son?"
1. What does St. John the Baptist say about the Lord Jesus Christ?
2. What is the difference between the baptism of St. John and that of the Lord Jesus Christ?
1. What is the nature of the first temptation of the Lord Jesus Christ?
2. Does the devil know the Holy Scriptures? Give proof for your answer.
1. Why rejoice and be glad about persecution?
2. Why we shall not swear by our head?
1. Give verses in chapter 6 that teach us the following:
a) Charitable deeds
b) How to pray
2. What are the benefits of sincere fasting?
1. With what measure are we going to be judged?
2. How do the two house builders reflect the people who heard the Lord Jesus Christ?
1. How did the centurion view the Lord Jesus Christ?
2. Give a verse that shows the Lord Jesus Christ authority over nature.
1. What did the people expect the Lord Jesus Christ to do for the paralytic man? What did He do instead?
2. What is surprising about the Lord Jesus Christ choice of St. Matthew?
1. The Lord Jesus Christ sent out His disciples. What was to be their message? What were they to do?
2. In time of persecution what would the disciples expect from God?
1. Why will the judgment of Capernaum be worse than Sodom?
2. What does the Lord Jesus Christ mean by taking up His "yoke"?
1. What does the Lord Jesus Christ mean in verse 6 and 8?
2. What is the sign of the prophet Jonah?
1. In the Parable of the Seed and the Tare who is the sower? What does the field represents? The tares? The enemy? The harvest?
2. What does the Parable of the Dragnet (net) teach us about the Kingdom of Heaven?
1. Why did Herod fear the Lord Jesus Christ? St. John the Baptist?
2. Why did the disciples tell the Lord Jesus Christ to send the multitudes away?
1. Why did the Lord Jesus Christ not want to heal the daughter of the woman of Canaan?
2. How does the feeding of the multitude in chapter 14 compare with St. Matthew 15?
1. What do you think the Pharisees and the Sadducees were actually hoping to see in the sky?
2. Why did the Lord Jesus Christ rebuke St. Peter?
1. What did St. Peter want to do at the Transfiguration?
2. Give verse proving that the Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
1. Why would the disciples want to be "the greatest"?
2. What three attempt we should do with a brother who sins against us?
1. What did the Lord Jesus Christ say the young man should do to be perfect?
2. Who will inherit eternal life?
1. What did the Lord Jesus Christ predict would happen in Jerusalem?
2. Who did the Lord Jesus say would sit on His right and left hand?
1. What does the incident of the fig tree teach about faith?
2. In the parable of the landowner of the vineyard who is represented as the landowner? The vineyard?
1. What does it mean to be in the king's presence without a wedding garment?
2. On what two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets?
1. List several ways in which the Lord Jesus Christ pointed that the Pharisees like to show off.
2. What did the Lord Jesus Christ say is more important that tithing?
1. Why will the disciples be hated?
2. What events might mislead the disciples into thinking the end has come?
1. What does Matthew 25:31-46 teaches us about Christian responsibility?
2. Who are "the least of these My brethren"?
1. The Sacrament of the Eucharist is instituted in this chapter. Give verses
2. Give a verse relating Communion with the remission of sins.
1. At what hour was the Lord Jesus Christ crucified? What does it correspond to in our time now?
2. What happened as soon as the Lord Jesus Christ yielded up His Spirit?
1. Who were the first to know about the Glorious Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ?
2. Making disciples follow three few steps. List them.