Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern USA
HOLY GOSPEL OF ST. MATTHEW
Expert Level Name:
1. What did the prophecy say about the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ?
2. St. Mary is called "Mother of the Savior". Give verse of proof.
1. Why was it important that the Lord Jesus Christ be born in Bethlehem?
2. What is the significance of each gift presented by the wise men?
1. How is the Trinity represented in chapter 3?
2. What angered St. John the Baptist so much about the Pharisees and the Sadducees?
1. Was the devil right to claim that the world belonged to him? Why?
2. What was the response of St. Peter, St. Andrew and the sons of Zebedee to the Lord Jesus Christ call?
1. What is the Lord Jesus point about the "least" and the "great"?
2. How do we obtain a righteousness that surpasses the Pharisees?
1. What is the Pharisees motivation to give to the poor? Their reward?
2. If God knows what we need before we ask, why ask/pray?
1. What does the Lord Jesus Christ mean by your pearls?
2. How can someone do miracles in the Lord Jesus' name and be rejected?
1. Why would the Lord Jesus Christ want the cleansed leper to show himself to the priest?
2. What did the Lord Jesus mean by "Let the dead bury their own dead?"
1. Why would the scribes consider the Lord Jesus Christ forgiving the man's sin a blasphemy?
2. Compare the ruler to the woman with the issue of blood.
1. What limit did the Lord Jesus Christ put on the disciples' ministry?
2. What does it mean to be "as sheep in the midst of wolves"?
1. Explain how "the least in the kingdom of Heaven is greater than St. John the Baptist."
2. Why are things hidden from the wise and prudent?
1. When accused of casting out demons by Beelzebub the Lord Jesus Christ defense was in three parts. Explain
2. What is meant by blasphemy against the Spirit?
1. What do the parable of the wheat and the tares teach us about church purity? Divine patience?
2. How does the Parable of the Dragnet compare with the Parable of the Tares?
1. What did the Lord Jesus Christ wanted to teach us by praying alone?
2. Did the people of Gennesaret have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ? Give verses that prove your opinion.
1. How is "uncleanness" understood by the Pharisees? By the Lord Jesus Christ?
2. Why does the Lord Jesus Christ call the Pharisees "blind leaders"?
1. What is meant by the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees?
2. What are the "keys of the Kingdom"?
1. Why Moses and Elijah in particular appeared with the Lord Jesus Christ at the Transfiguration?
2. What lesson was the Lord Jesus Christ teaching St. Peter by paying the tax anyway?
1. Why is causing a child to sin such a serious offense?
2. In the parable of the unmerciful servant, is God's forgiveness conditional or unconditional? Give proof.
1. For what reason did Moses permit divorce?
2. Why is it hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God?
1. Who do the first and eleventh hour laborers represent and why give them the same wage?
2. Show that the disciples' view of the kingdom was different from the Lord Jesus Christ.
1. Who does the fig tree incident represent? Explain.
2. "The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone." Explain.
1. Why is there no marriage in Heaven?
2. Why do you think the Lord Jesus Christ emphasized loving God with our heart, soul and mind?
1. What controlled the actions of the Scribes and Pharisees?
2. Who is the "proselyte" and what does the Lord Jesus Christ mean by "you make him twice as much a son of hell"?
1. What does the story of the faithful and wise servant teach us about responsibility?
2. What do we learn from the parable of the fig tree?
1. The bridegroom said to the foolish virgins "I do not know you". What does it mean to us?
2. On what basis people will be separated when the Lord Jesus Christ comes in His glory?
1. Why was the Passover an appropriate time for the Lord Jesus Christ to be delivered and crucified?
2. In what stages does the Lord Jesus Christ reveal His betrayer? Give verses.
1. Pilate found the Lord Jesus Christ to be innocent. What did he try to do about it?
2. What is the meaning of "The veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom?"
1. How can you answer those who believe the guards saying "His disciples...stole Him away while we slept"?
2. What assurance did the Lord Jesus Christ give His disciples and us before His Ascension?